Search

Google

Friday, January 29, 2010

Demise of TV Mobile => Restful Journey



I had to attend several full-day workshops in town this month. Not wanting to pay the expensive parking rates in the Central Business District, I left my car at home and took the bus. I was pleasantly surprised to have restful journeys on the bus and I wondered why it felt so different from the past. Aha! The silent TV screens on the buses announced that TV Mobile has ceased operations at the end of 2009 and it thanked the public for the support.

Support? Potato couches may appreciate TV Mobile but the general public should be glad that the noise pollution has come to a stop. In the first place, I could not believe that LTA had approved the application for such a (dis)service. I felt that the setup of TV Mobile with the loud speakers blasting the programme throughout the bus is a blatant form of "audio-invasion" into the passengers' personal space. It is acceptable to just have the TV screens showing the programme and those watching can tune to FM 89.3 MHz using headsets on their portable devices. We can close our eyes but we cannot shut our ears. Good riddance!

No comments: